Saturday, June 9, 2012

Welcome

Well I guess many years has lead me to where I am now, but I will keep it as simple as possible. I don't want to bore you. I'm hear because I needed to change my life. I am over 100lbs overweight. In the last year I was put on high blood pressure pills and my cholesterol is borderline. There is family history of heart disease and diabeties. I am only 32 years old. I spent my 20's fat and unhappy and I don't want my 30's to continue on that path. I'm young and I should be enjoying life and not worried about my health. I move 2000 miles away from home because of work and I needed to learn how to take care of myself. My Mom passed away at the age of 69 in 2010. The last 6 months of her life I was her full-time caregiver while working full-time. Though I had some help from my siblings it was still very stressful. While caring for her I neglected myself even more. So after she passed I decided to move. I had to get out of there. I've been in my new city for a year and still not caring for myself. I met people who were concerned about hanging out and dating and though I do want to date and one day get married my greatest need right now is being healthy. I didn't do that though. I made the mistake of dating and continued to neglect myself. I can't do that anymore. I thought other people would care for me. That is how I was raised. That's not how it is. I am learning the hard way. If I don't do it for myself no one will. So that is why I am here. I am going to chronicle my journey learning to eat healthy and get healthy. This isn't about losing weight. That will happen naturally from eating foods that are better for me. I am using this blog to share my journey and hopefully encourage other people, women, and especially African Americans to change their eating habits and become healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment